Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day lessons to share...

I've heard it said that "no man is an island". I would have to modify that just a bit. All men, especially myself, goes through bouts of "island" status in our personal and business lives. It's just a matter of who and how many choose to join you there, which determines how beneficial and productive that island party can be. I've learned a lot from my Dad's island experience.

My Dad's career ran the gamut of independent sales rep (Phillip-Morris, Buster Brown shoes) to managing bowling facilities (champion bowler) to a majority of his career (25 years) operating a segment of the Cold War facilities that reclaimed spent nuclear material. In short, I learned that Dad did what he needed to do to take care of his family. Much like myself, Dad had his "island" times in each of the above and I remember a couple of those very well. Fortunately, Dad was blessed with Mom, much the glue of our family back then. Both worked together to see that Dad was the best Dad he could be. I find my wife, Ginny, in that very same role today. In other words, Father's Day to me is more like Family Day...since none of us would be Dad's, let alone good Dad's, without others keeping us company on our various islands. I see that same lesson in play with real business leaders who surround themselves with trusted advisers and mentors on their respective islands. Early lessons from Dad still apply to my perception and realities of business today.

This Father's Day is special. Dad is slowly leaving us. Has been for a few years now. I think about his life... his sacrifices and just where he is today...everyday. He may not remember recent events, be able to drive somewhere and return home safely, or even what recall what today is for more than a few minutes, but he sure can spin a yarn about his baseball days of the 1950's, champion bowling and golf days of the 1960's, and other meaningful times and people.

Fast forward to this Father's Day and here's a delicious breakfast Ginny just delivered and good-morning hugs and love from our chatty boys and texting girls. Next, off to thank our Holy Father and then another Father's Day feast after church, hopefully a nap, and then on to baseball with other Dad's and their kids. I hope all of you Dad's out there have a great day to remember too.